Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for the housing programs?

Applications can be picked up from our office during normal business hours.  There is no application fee.  You can also print off an application from the "Download" tab on our website and mail it to us at 1500 Chowen Springs Loop, Great Falls MT 59405-2564, or FAX it to 406-727-5566.

What are the Income Eligibility Requirements for admission?
Eligibility for housing programs is generally based on income and the size of the family. For more information about eligibility visit the "Housing Programs" page or contact our office.
What would be the amount of the rent?
Tenants would pay rent equal to 30% of household income. There are some exceptions.
What is Total Income?
A family's income before any taxes or other exclusions or deductions have been taken out of it.
What is Annual Income?
Total Income - Income Exclusions = Annual Income.
What is Adjusted Income?
Annual Income - Allowable Income Deductions = Adjusted Income
Why is determining income and family payment correctly so important?
The Department of Housing and Urban Development's studies show that many resident families pay the incorrect amount of rent.  The main causes of this problem are:  Under-reporting of income by resident families, and exclusions and deductions incorrectly calculated.
What are my applicant/resident responsibilities for providing information?
Provide accurate information on family composition.  Report all income at admission and annually.  Keep copies of necessary paperwork which documents income and expenses.  Report changes in family composition and income between annual recertifications.  Sign consent for income verification and criminal history checks.  Comply with lease and Housing rules.
What if I don't have a job or income?  Do I qualify if I'm a single parent? Do I have to have children to apply?  What if I'm a college student?
Anyone who is over the age of 18 or is legally emancipated can apply for housing assistance.  Your final eligibility will be determined once your application is received and processed.
What about requests for accommodations?
Persons with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation in order to utilize housing services. The Authority will make all reasonable efforts to be flexible in assisting persons with disabilities to include home visits if your disability prevents you from coming to the Authority offices and/or TDD devices and/or the use of an advocate or interpreter. If the family includes a disabled person, the family may request a current listing of accessible units that may be available.
Does the Great Falls Housing Authority do criminal background checks?
Yes.  A local check is performed and if necessary a more extensive nationwide check is done.  There is no cost to the applicant.
What criminal actions are automatic denials to admission?
Persons convicted of methamphetamine production on the premises of federally assisted housing are permanently prohibited from admission to the PHA’s public housing program. Persons previously evicted for drug related criminal activities are not eligible for housing for three years from the eviction. If any person / family member is subject to life time sex offender registrations they are prohibited from admission.
What Fair Housing Agency is available in the Great Falls Area?
If you think you are being discriminated against in housing, please contact our office Monday thru Thursday from 8:30 - 4:30 and ask for Alicia.  Thank you!
What is the difference between Section 8 and Public Housing?
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program enables families to locate a residence with the landlord they choose as long as the landlord is not a relative.  This landlord must be willing to participate in the Section 8 Property Owner Program.  Public Housing units are owned and managed by Great Falls Housing Authority.
Do you have emergency housing?  Where can I go for emergency assistance?
Unfortunately, we do not provide emergency assistance.  There are a number of agencies in the community who provide emergency assistance.  Great Falls Rescue Mission (452-1483), City-County Health Department (454-6950), Salvation Army (453-0391), Opportunities Inc. (761-0310), and St. Vincent DePaul (761-0966) are just a few.


1500 Chowen Springs Loop -  Great Falls, MT 59405

Voice: 406.453.4311  - TDD: 406.453.6327; Montana Relay: 711 
FAX: 406.727.5566  - EMAIL: